Sunday, November 2, 2008

Veganism in the Media

It's tiring seeing veganism portrayed so poorly in the media. Both of my parents cracked jokes about me wasting away when I became vegan-- and why shouldn't they? Between horrible moms feeding their babies only soy milk while they slowly die and this article, who wouldn't think that being vegan is a huge health risk? The sad reality of it all is that vegans are probably just as healthy, if not more. There's article after article that advise "careful planning"-- but why would a vegan need more careful planning than a non-vegan? In fact, I'd probably argue that people who eat meat and dairy have to work to incorporate the right amount vegetables and whole grains.

Either way, I could go on and on about how healthy vegans are, but it doesn't matter. As long as the media continues to mis-portray vegans as horribly unhealthy, people like my parents will continue to discourage others against such a diet, simply due to the media that misguides them. Moral of the story: never trust what you read.

<3

No comments: