Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gluten-free(-ish) Mexican Pizza Night

mexican pizza

I wanted to make something with this gluten-free crust I accidentally bought at Whole Foods the other day. And it occurred to me, I could make something gluten-free for my blog!! However, I'm an idiot and it didn't occur to me that there is gluten in the Boca Soy Crumbles. I'm sure there are some gluten-free alternatives I could have used. And you gluten-free folks out there probably know all about them. But like I said... me = idiot.



So, here is a SORT OF gluten-free, but definitely vegan, Mexican pizza recipe. I found the crust in the freezer section of the Lane Ave. Whole Foods. I'm sure the big kahuna Whole Foods off Sawmill Rd. has gluten free pizza crust options, too. It was pretty good.

Oh, and before you read the ingredients and think, "Taco Bell Seasoning!?" - just hear me out. I read the ingredients - they are vegan - and while there are some less than appetizing additives in there, I never claimed to be a healthy vegan all of the time. So, if you want to turn your nose up at the Taco Bell Seasoning, that's completely fine. There are tons of excellent recipes online that I've used. I just didn't feel like doing all the mixing, and I happen to really like flavor of the Taco Bell Seasoning. You can get it in the Mexican food aisle at Kroger.

On a side note, talking about Taco Bell Seasoning makes me think of this song. I find it apropos.



Get it? Because it's PIZZA and TACO BELL??

Gluten-free-ish Mexican Pizza
Makes 3-4 6'' pizzas

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag Boca Soy Crumbles
  • 1-2 tsp. Taco Bell Seasoning (or homemade)
  • 1-2 tsp. cayenne pepper (per taste)
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 can vegetarian refried beans
  • 1 jar of hot salsa
  • Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 jar of pickled jalapenos
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 2 tbs. chopped green onion
  • 3-4 tbs. Tofutti Sour Cream
  • 3-4 mini gluten-free cornmeal pizza crusts
Process:
  1. Pre-heat your oven per the package instructions of your crust.
  2. Warm the olive oil in a large skillet for 1-2 minutes. Don't let it smoke. Add the chopped onion and cook until they become soft, translucent, and aromatic.
  3. Put the crust in the oven and allow to cook for half the time.
  4. Add the Boca Soy Crumbles and the seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes, browning the crumbles slightly. Taste! Add more salt and cayenne per taste preference.
  5. While those are browning, warm up the beans, chop the tomatoes & green onions, and prepare the rest of your ingredients.
  6. Remove the crust from the oven, keeping the oven heated. Fill each crust with a think layer of beans, then top with prepared soy crumbles, then top with salsa and cheese. The rest of the ingredients will go on later.
  7. Put the pizza back in the oven for the remainder of time specified on the package. Allow the cheese to melt. If it doesn't, put it under the broiler for 30 seconds.
  8. Remove form the oven and top with diced tomatoes, green onions, and Tofutti Sour Cream.

No comments: