Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Great Chefs CAN'T Cook Vegan


I like cauliflower. I kind of like Cat Cora on Iron Chef. And I wanted to blanch something. So I made Cat Cora's Curried Cauliflower. And it sucked.

I want to say I'm adventurous and open-minded when it comes to food-- and even more so, Andy is-- but we could not even finish this stuff. The sweet and the savory is a daring combination to me, mostly because I hate it [[I get top chef flashbacks to how truly disgusting Dale's Butterscotch Miso Scallops must have been]]. The only positive aspects of this experience is that, I can say Cat Cora's food sucks and that I know how to blanch something.

It was a blanched cauliflower, chilled, drizzled with a rice wine vinegar, with dried currants, pine nuts, and sunflower seeds. There's a couple other minor details to the dish that I can't recall, but it seemed simple enough to be delicious. And unfortunately, it wasn't.

Luckily, the other dish we made was delicious-- an Isa recipe, Ethiopian Seitan. It's a baked seitan and pepper dish, smothered in red wine, garlic, pureed Serrano chilis, and a spice combo. It was really delicious, except I wouldn't necessarily call it Ethiopian-- or Ethiopian inspired even, except for some spices. One spice I would go without next time was the cardamom-- really expensive, and I couldn't even taste it. At 28 dollars a pound, it better be freaking delicious is all I'm saying. Plus, my whole spice cabinet smells like cardamom now.

No comments: