Monday, June 29, 2009

Alfredo Pizza and Garlic Bread Sticks


I remember when all the pizza places started coming out with crazy pizza toppings. Specifically, Round Table came out with this "white sauce" chicken pizza that sounded god awful to me. I was a plain sauce and cheese kinda girl, and the thought of combining two perfectly good dishes together -- chicken alfredo and pizza -- seemed so stupid. Anyway, the point being -- I tried it and loved it, and it quickly became my favorite kind of pizza. Nothing beat a "white sauce" chicken pizza with some garlic bread sticks. Plus a pepsi of course.

But alas, I no longer enjoy the fruits of suffering, and pepsi is my vice. So these days I enjoy a vegan alfredo sauce pizza topped with creole seitan. Plus water of course.

For the pizza I used my standard whole wheat crust recipe, topped it with my alfredo sauce and creole seitan recipe, with one crown of broccoli finely chopped, 1/4 white onions chopped, and a handful of chopped baby bellas sauteed lightly in oil seasoned with a little chili powder, and finally some chopped scallions, chopped tomatoes and shredded Follow Your Heart mozzarella.


Garlic bread sticks are fun. You just get to play with the dough, twist them up, grease, and season-- no need to worry about tossing and stretching and all that. For these, again, I used the other half of my whole pizza dough recipe plus the standard tomato sauce recipe. I stretched out the dough into 6 5 inch strips, and grease the tops with olive oil. I spread some minced garlic on top. Then I twisted them so the oil was tucked inside and the garlic was all embedded in the dough. Then I greased the tops and seasoned with garlic powder and onion powder plus some oregano. Baked these guys at 500F like the pizza for about 8 minutes.

This dinner was originally going to break our fast on Thursday, however, it's important to wean yourself back onto proteins and solid foods. Instead we ate smoothies for a couple meals and made this on Friday night. This pizza was out of this world. I know I probably don't have to tell you what to put on your pizza, but this is one of those things that was so good, you should try it.

No comments: