Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 6: Spicy Teriyaki Stir Fry


Vegans make a lot of stir fry, so I feel a little silly posting about one. But it's Vegan MoFo so I'm posting about everything.

I recently picked up some black bean garlic sauce. My stir fries are always pretty average in my opinion so I've been looking for a little something to make them more interesting. My step dad once recommended I use black bean sauce, and I always assumed it was actual black beans-- which translated into not very flavorful. Apparently they're black SOYbeans, which just means they're a lower carb, less bean-y flavored version or your standard soybean. I don't know if that makes them more flavorful than a black bean, but they worked in this sauce.

I also have this weird thing about tofu. I hate a stir fry with gooey tofu, UNLESS it's siklen tofu. Strange, I know. And when you make stir fries, you usually just throw everything in a pan or wok and cook it. So for this stir fry, I had to cheat and do it in parts, just so the dang tofu was crispy enough. I guess I could have done all this in one pan and layered everything, but then there would have been too much oil in the pan.

Anyway, this is how I did it.

-- First I fried the tofu in peanut oil so it got all hard and crispy.
-- Then I took the tofu out, dumped the oil, and sauteed the onions, mushrooms, and broccoli a bit in the residual oil.
-- In a separate, small pan, I heated teriyaki sauce, 4-5 teaspoons of black bean garlic sauce, some raw soy sauce [[it's all I had]], and however much sriracha I could handle.
-- Then I dumped the sauce over the broccoli and tofu and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring.
-- Serve over brown rice. Or the less healthy version, white rice.

4 comments:

kim g. said...

Wow! This looks SO delicious! I feel the same way about tofu - I need it really crispy. I've been in a stir-fry rut, so I'll have to try this!

Melisser said...

Oh my, that looks delicious!

Annette said...

I found your blog through VeganMoFo and I just wanted to say hi from one Columbus vegan to another! I haven't met any vegans here yet, aside from the ones I likely walk past in Pattycake on stickybun day, but now I know they do exist! haha.

Also, your food looks delicious! I might make your scones.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That stirfry looks awesome!