Friday, April 30, 2010

Starbucks Soy Frapp Official

READ: Soy Caramel frappuccino, no caramel sauce, no whip

It's official, guys. I've had one a day since Tuesday. You can, once again, enjoy caramel, mocha, green tea, or any other flavor frappuccinos with soy milk at every starbucks in the city. Confirmed locations include: Kingsdale, Fifth Ave./Grandview, Lane Ave., the Goasis in Ashland, and probably all the rest. I thought I might miss the caramel sauce/whipped cream part, but they're plenty sweet and amazingly delicious. I went in on Tuesday to the Fifth Ave. location just to confirm that they exist. They were concerned that it might be too sweet, so they asked my opinion. And while it is sweet, I sort of recognize that as the point of a frappuccino. The soy milk is sweetened, so you may want to do half the pumps of syrup. But I really enjoy the sugar overload. Check them out!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE
: So, I got some info on the new recipe. They add a syrup to their new frappuccinos that's a coffee flavored sugar syrup. It's supposed to help the consistency of their frapp. It is vegan, as they use xantham gum as a thickener. You might want to know about the added sugar, though!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A commenter recently mentioned that the soy milk at starbucks is not vegan. I verified this (well, Andrew did) at our local starbucks that their soy milk IS VEGAN. The ingredients are (sorry about the low pic quality, it's from an iPhone)...


4 comments:

Hayley said...

Ooh, that looks so good. I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but in my pre-vegan days I used to love the strawberry frappuccinos.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I just commented on an older post before seeing this. I live a few blocks away from the Fifth Ave/Grandview location, I can see this is going to be very dangerous. Cup o Joe near Weber tried to make me something similar but it wasn't very good. I can't freaking wait to try this, how I've missed my caramel frapps!

Anonymous said...

the soymilk at starbucks isn't vegan

Andrew Warner said...

I looked at the soy milk today. It looks vegan. I have the picture to prove it, but I'm not sure it's ethical to publish it.