Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sex and Veganism

I found an old article on the NY Times website, condemning a strip club in Portland, Oregon for being a vegan strip club. They don't serve meat products, and the strippers wear pleather instead of leather. The owner is vegan and most of the strippers are, too. Fellow vegans, as well as PPK's Isa, knock the guy for tainting the name of veganism. They hold their ideas alongside a progressive movement also in line with feminism. Beyond that, they knock naked protests and PETA2's naked celebrity campaign. In this regard, I'd have to agree. Sure, sex sells, but you're deterring a large market of feminists and progressives. [[Although, as a witness to one naked protest in Berkeley, it was men and women-- so I don't see the sexism in that.]] However, I don't see a problem with a vegan strip club. I don't see it as a means of promoting veganism-- but rather, providing a vegan option to a small sect of vegans who like strip clubs.

There are a variety of people who have jumped on the meatless, dairy-free bandwagon. Many are extraordinarily health-- me, I eat soy ice cream [[NOT healthy just because it's vegan as it turns out]], fried foods, and coke. Some are feminists-- me, not so much beyond equal rights [[ie: You want to shake your goodies on a table, go ahead. You want to not shave your pits ever again, go ahead. etc.]] The point of veganism is to help save animals, the planet, and your own body. You want to expand this idea to all people-- not just the ones who already know better.

<3

1 comment:

Andrew Warner said...

Tough issue.

I'm not for strip clubs, but it has nothing to do with veganism. While the two concepts may share similar values like the idea of equality, they are certainly not mutually exclusive.

Also, I don't think it's universally accepted by feminists that strip clubs are anti-feminists. I think many may say the opposite.

That being said, vegan pervs need a place to go, too (like you said). Also, vegan feminists who see it as a right and privilege to take off their clothes for large quantities of money need a place to strip without sacrificing their vegan values...

...This is complicated.