Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans on Election Night

I wanted to make sugar cookies for you all last night, but I was pretty distracted by the elections. Congratulations to Obama; unfortunately, Nader didn't poll as high as hoped. Instead, I made something less time intensive-- I made chocolate covered coffee beans.

It's really simple. You just make a double-boiler, melt some chocolate, and dip the roasted coffee beans in. You can do that one of two ways: you can do it one by one so you have individually coated beans, or you can lay day a whole bunch of beans and pour the chocolate over it, so you have this chocolate brick you can just break apart. I chose to do it one by one. I rolled them around in the chocolate, placed them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and froze them for 20 minutes. Then, I took them out and poured tiny spoon-fulls of chocolate over them to sort of double layer them with chocolate, then refroze them. You can actually eat them after about 20 minutes of being in the freezer, but they melt in your hand a lot more. If you wait over-night they're a lot more solid.

To make a double-boiler, I just got a small metal pot, placed it on top of a small pan filled with boiling water. The pan doesn't touch the water, it just receives all the steam from the boiling water.

I don't have pictures today, but I'll post some tomorrow.


**You can use other stuff, too -- raisins, nuts, gummy bears, etc.

<3

No comments: