Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Regiment

[[The stunt has been postponed. Please check out www.andrew-warner.com for updates. ]]

My husband is a magician, who also dabbles in daring stunts. He wants to publicly stay awake for 11+ days. I don't even want to get started on how worried/scared I am about this, but as a supporting and loving wife to my daring husband, I'm going to help him get healthy for this stunt. We're starting the regiment -- to free him of all artificial stimulants (including his beloved green tea lattes), sugars, excessive fats and sodium, and anything processed really. SO, that means no more starbucks, baking, eating out, or excessive amounts of packaged/processed foods. And that also means a lot more cooking at home and a healthy series I will be sharing with you. I get to experiment with not only making vegan food taste awesome, but making simple, whole foods taste awesome. Starting tomorrow, I'll begin my play-by-play meals. And of course, if you have any wisdom or advice to share, I would love to hear it.

The current title holder sustained himself on a raw diet and stayed awake for 266 hours, just over 11 days. Tony Wright ate nothing but raw meat and fruit while staying awake. While Andrew stays awake, I'll be trying to sustain him on a low sugar/lower carbohydrate, raw diet.

For the next few months Andrew will be blogging and tweeting about his progress, as will I. So, stay tune for more videos and information.

This is a sneak preview of Andrew Warner's "Awakening" - an attempt to break the world record for sleep deprivation (12 days). This is magic from the Short North in Columbus, Ohio.

Food Ban:
  • White flour, bread
  • Refined sugars, or raw sugar in excess
  • White rice
  • French fries, onion rings, and other delicious deep fried goodness
  • Anything with caffeine in it: chocolate, coffee, tea (this is all Andrew)
  • Soda or other sugary drinks
Food Increase (what we're aiming to eat more of):
  • Raw fruits
  • Raw nuts
  • Green leafy vegetables
  • Food cooked at home
  • High fiber foods like couscous and other whole grains
  • Protein
  • Water

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Um, wow, this sounds intense! Will he be doing this here in Cbus?

You guys should try green smoothies.

Ashley said...

I blend mine for the most part, but I also sometimes use my citrus juicer for orange or lemon juice.

A juicer might be worth it, but I really love what I get out of just my little Oster blender.

I just posted a new blog about it.