Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mexican Style Tempeh

Beans and rice are my go-to when I'm tired as hell and don't feel like cooking. I make a fast guacamole and top it with some hot sauce and pickled jalapenos. It's pretty delicious for a 20 minute meal.

Well, I felt like making it a little different. So I topped our brown rice and beans with some Mexican Style Tempeh. It's just as fast and easy. It'd probably be good on a salad with vegan ranch. Or wrapped up like a taco or burrito.



[[Mexican Style Tempeh]]

* 1 Tbs. tomato paste
* 3 Tbs. white cooking wine
* 1 package of tempeh, cubed
* 1/4-1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
* 1/4-1/2 tsp. chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. cumin
* 1/2 tsp. coriander
* EVOO for frying
* 1 cup chopped red bell pepper and onion

-- Toss all ingredients in a bowl to coat the tempeh. Once completely coated, heat a pan with about 1 tbs. oil, and fry until brown and crisp. Add the onions and bell peppers about half way through cooking and cook together in one pan. Serve over black beans and brown rice, with some guacamole, hot sauce, and pickled jalapenos.


------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the regiment goes, it's been going well. I'm sort of doing a modified regiment as compared to Andrew. I still drink coffee [[I'm not trying to break any sleep records here!]] and I'll have a tofutti cutie every now and then. But I'm working out hard and I'm sticking to the whole grains. Although this program isn't about losing weight, but more about feeling better and being healthier [[and breaking world records]], I thought I'd share some more tangible progress. When I first went vegan, I lost weight and then I slowly gained it back-- and then some. I ate out at restaurants more than I ever had before in my life. I was constantly baking, loading up on sugar and white flours. I think in total I gained about 15 pounds. But in the couple months that Andrew and I have been doing this-- eating at home, eating healthier, working out a lot more -- I've lost about 8 lbs. Now that I'm getting back down to what I consider a more natural weight for me, I really feel like I'm doing my body good [[and no, not like milk does]]. And to me, that's pretty freaking awesome.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so with you on the weight loss then gain thing. I think this must be because we're so jazzed about all the delicious things we can make vegan that we overindulge. I'm definitely trying to improve my vegan diet, upping the raw, decreasing the sugar!