Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Some Weekend Concoctions

I used to get a meatball sub from subway almost every day on my way to work in Berkeley. I'd walk to work every day, and the street I turned on had two places-- a McDonald's and a Subway. I thought the Subway was the lesser of the two evils, but I suppose getting a meatball sub was the worst thing I could have done. But do you blame me? The melty mozzarella with the sweet, tanginess of the marinara on an herby loaf. It was amazing.

I've been meaning to recreate something like that for a long time. This weekend I was feeling lazy and uninspired, and this reflects that. It wasn't to die for or spot on "meatball sub". It was just a tasty medley of crap I threw together. We had some mozzarella in the fridge and some marinara sauce left over from the pizza night, thus this was born.

I used an Ezekiel bun, whole wheat. Then I just grilled some tempeh and onions with some bragg's and spices and god only knows what else.


Then for breakfast on Sunday, Andrew was telling me about this restaurant he went to where he first discovered nutritional yeast [[the guys a vegan for years and never even heard of it, crazy right?]]. Their tofu scramble is chunky and really crispy on the outside. They put it in tacos and stuff, too. I tried to recreate this and although I liked it, I wasn't able to get it quite as crispy as I'd like. Once I get it right, I'll let you know.


It's a whole wheat, whole grain tortilla with chunky tofu scramble, spicy spinach, chopped jalapenos, chopped scallions, and some cholula hot sauce.

No comments: