Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Strawberry Macadamia Nut Whole Wheat Muffins

Andrew and I have begun a fast starting last night at 10 pm. Fasts are a good way to cleanse your system and expel any toxins your body has built up over the years [[since toxins cling to your fat]]. We've lost a lot of weight [[both about 20 lbs. each]] and gotten in good shape. It only seems fitting that we give our bodies a couple cleaning days. If you notice I'm not posting, it's probably because I'm not eating. I should be up and running by Friday though.

As a farewell to food, I made some strawberry whole wheat muffins with macadamia nuts. I like a good whole wheat muffin. My favorite is probably lemon poppy seed, BUT I had some macadamia nuts and frozen strawberries, so there you go. These muffins could almost be considered cake with all the sugar in them, they still aren't too sweet though.

These are are really light and fluffy with a touch of cinnamon flavor. I like a little cinnamon in muffins so I tend to always add it in. The warm, gooey strawberries contrast well with the crunchy nuts. I think we most traditionally see macadamia nuts paired with white chocolates, a classic, but they can be paired well with fruit or plain chocolate. I used my tin foil looking cupcake liners that I usually use for fauxstess cupcakes. If you're looking for unique and really adorable cupcake liners, check out Cupcake Swirl -- they also have other cute baking essentials.

Also, the use of vinegar and soy milk is meant to substitute buttermilk. If you ever have an old recipe that calls for buttermilk, use 1 tbs vinegar for every 1 cup soy milk.


[[Strawberry Macadamia Nut Whole Wheat Muffins]]
Makes 6 muffins

dry:
1/2 cup + 2 tbs whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
wet:
1/2 whole soy milk, unflavored
1/2 tbs white distilled vinegar
1/6 [[2 tbs + 2 tsp]] cup canola oil
Add ins:
5-6 shopped strawberries
about 2 tbs chopped raw macadamia nuts

Preheat the oven: 350 F
-- Mix all wet and dry ingredients separately. Be sure to whisk the wet mixture well.
-- Add wet to dry, plus chopped strawberries, and stir until just combine.
-- Place in baking pan and top with chopped macadamia nuts.
-- Bake for about 15 minutes, until browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: