Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Burger

Sorry it took me a minute to post this. I got a little overeager with some spaghetti squash I bought and completely neglected to post this recipe. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? You should.

There isn't much to say about this burger. I summed it up in my last post [[check it out for pictures]]. I'm a little ashamed of how frantic I became in the final hours. Mostly because I won. But maybe the "franticism" is necessary. Time constraints weigh on the best of us, anyway, so I shouldn't be too ashamed. If you don't believe me, watch the food network. Those people go nuts.

[[Spicy Seitan Burger]]
I really like this burger. It packs some heat, and a lot of flavor. I would recommend dressing it how I did: fried onions and Creole cream sauce. Tomatoes would be great, too.

Base:
2 cups finely chopped seitan
1 can black beans, drained and smashed
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
dash of salt and pepper
Puree:
5 Serrano chilies, chopped and seeded
1 large Chipotle chili in adobo marinade
1/2 tbs adobo marinade from canned chilies
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
1 tbs safflower oil

-- Preheat over to 375 F.
-- Combine all base ingredients in a bowl. Be sure the seitan is finely chopped. If the pieces are too large, the burgers won't hold well. You can leave some whole beans, but try to smash the black beans thoroughly. You may need slightly more whole wheat flour if your mixture seems excessively wet still.
-- Combine all puree ingredients in a blender. Be sure to remove the white part of the Serranos. You can find canned chipotles at Whole Foods.
-- Add the puree ingredients to the base ingredients and combine until they come together. You can test the patties, form some in your hands, and see if they are too wet or dry. If they are too dry you can add more water or oil.
-- Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake them for 30 minutes. Flip them over half way through baking.
-- You can then remove them from the oven and cook them on the stove with a little olive oil. They should be slight solid and easier to handle. If not, leave them in the oven for a little more.
-- Lightly brown each side in an oiled pan, about five minutes each. I wouldn't recommend placing these on a grill as they are slightly fragile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good but more than 5 ingredients and I get winded from cooking..haha

Unknown said...

bearmancartoon - haha, I feel ya. It was a burger competition, though, ya know? It's still vastly easier to just buy some packaged ones.