Sunday, October 4, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 4: Sweet Potatoes Rule!


Sweet potatoes were one of those things I was late on the bandwagon for. They're so orange and the concept of a sweet potato did not entice me. The closest to a sweet potato I've ever had were yams [[apparently they're different]], covered in marshmallows on Thanksgiving and I hated those. But who wouldn't?

Then, for the first time at Tip Top, I had sweet potato fries. I felt stupid. No wonder people love them so much... because they're amazing! They work so well with smoky, peppery seasoning to make a really appealing sweet and spicy combination.

I've had them every other day for the past week or so, just because I love them so much. And since they're so healthy and decently cheap, I really don't feel bad about it.

[[Simple Instructions for Sweet Potatoes]]
One large sweet potato seems to be plenty for 2 sides, maybe 3.

1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Cube one large sweet potato and boil in water for 10 minutes. Don't over boil so they're mushy. You just want them a little softer.
3. Drain. Put in a shallow baking dish in a single layer and coat with any high heat oil.
4. Spice with whatever. I use a little smoked paprika, chipotle powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix around.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispiness.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

INCREDIBLE recipe!! I just posted about sweet potatoes too, haha :-D

Morgan said...

and they're in season!

what do you use for "high heat oil"? I've heard good things about using coconut oil, but I usually cook with vegetable oil instead of the olive oil that I use for everything else.

Michal said...

Yum such a simple recipe, and perfect for the cool fall weather :)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I love me some sweet potatoes, but not if they're sweetened.

Unknown said...

Morgan --

For high heat oil, I'll use vegetable or grapeseed or canola. I've never cooked with coconut oil, but I do hear good things too. I'd like to know more about it. I just assume it's super fatty (because coconuts are?) so I stay away from it. haha

KiKi said...

ohhkay, now I have a new blog on my blogroll!

Thank you for all you share :)