Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tempeh Ruben and a little Zen

Andy and I decided, after the delicious success of the Tempeh Ruben from Vegan with a Vengeance we made on Christmas Eve, that we should do a Ruben night for his parents, which turned into a Ruben night for me, Andy, his mom, his dad, his brother, and his brother's girlfriend. I was mini-caterer-Tracy last night. I can't imagine an easier thing to serve in mass quantities, though-- just get a bunch of plastic bags, marinate all the tempeh, get a big grill, and grill up all the bread and tempeh --and voula! It was awesome to watch Andy's meat and potatoes family really enjoy something vegan [[or as his dad affectionately calls it -- vegan shit]]. It was probably the most fattening, high calorie vegan thing I could make them-- they're not really the type for a healthy flavor, though. It was a good time.

That deliciously high calorie sandwich can't help but bring New Year's resolutions to mind, even though I've never been one for resolutions. I try to stay in the mindset that the best time to do something is now. The more you wait, the more time that's wasted. Plus, the Zen philosophies Andy's always reading gets me thinking that setting goals or starting goals is the wrong way to think-- you shouldn't commit to quit smoking in the future or commit to lose weight. Your thoughts should be centered in the present-- right now, I am no longer a smoker; right now, I am a healthy person. I feel like one of those stupid pyramid scheme, self-help seminars-- but it's really true. You won't quit smoking if you still consider yourself a smoker, right? The goal needs to be in the present. So, hopefully, any resolution I come up with, I'll keep it in the now.

<3

No comments: