Sunday, April 19, 2009

Why Clif Bar?


As I've mentioned under my first regiment post, Andrew is training to break the world record for sleep deprivation [[11+ days]]. And I'm working hard to get him healthy, removing white flours, refined sugars, sweets in general, empty calories, and ALL stimulants such as coffee, tea, beer, and hard liquor. As you may have noticed, I've tried to make our favorites healthier-- pancakes and pizza are most memorable for me -- by switching to 100% whole wheat and other things.

One thing we've incorporated in our diet daily is the clif bar [[or luna bar for me]]. They're packed with nutrients -- practically like eating a mutli-vitamin, including the infamous B12 that vegans need and a significant source of 23 other vitamin and minerals. They're low glycemic, making them a great, steady release of energy. Ideally we eat them before a run, but I enjoy them for breakfast for that boost of energy. And the added benefit? They're mostly organic ingredients, which is another thing we aim for. Our favorite flavor is the white chocolate macadamia nut-- but carrot cake, oatmeal raisin, and cookies 'n cream are great, too.

Our diet really isn't that hardcore. We just eat our whole grains, some protein, and plenty of vegetables. We work out often and hard, and we make sure to eat little meals throughout the day-- including clif bars.

No comments: