Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chipotle Tofu Benedict


There's about a million variations to Eggs Benedict. There's the Florentine [[using spinach and a Mornay sauce]], the California [[using avocado - duh - and tomatoes]], Seafood Benedict [[isn't it obvious?]] -- the possibilities are endless. It's only natural that we make a vegan one. I know Isa has a couple recipes in the Veganomicon and I hear there's another one in the her new Brunch book [[which I'm yet to get]], but I thought my version was a little more...authentic?

Instead of trying to recreate a hollandiase sauce, which seems next to impossible without eggs, I tried to imitate a mornay, traditionally coupled with eggs florentine. Traditionally, a mornay is a bechamel sauce with a white cheese added. So, I made a vegan mornay, add some nutritional yeast, and a little chipotle to make a vegan chipotle mornay. The French may frown on my version, but I think you all will love it.

[[Chipotle Mornay]]
This was moderately spicy for me. I needed water. You may want to cut back on the chipotle sauce or gradually add and taste to be sure it's not too much for you.

1 heaping tbs earth balance
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 heaping tbs chickpea flour
1 1/4 cup whole plain soy milk
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs of the reserve sauce in a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
dash of pepper and salt
1 tbs lemon

-- Heat butter on medium to high heat. Once heated, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon.
-- Add the chickpea flour and whisk together well until it's a thicker, creamy mass.
-- Add soy milk, and whisk together until thoroughly blended. Let sit and watch as it thickens. Whisking periodically.
-- When it's thick and doubled in size, remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, lemon, and chipotle sauce. Mix together thoroughly.

[[Tofu Benedict]]
I know a lot of people like to emulate a McMuffin and make little tofu squares. I'll admit, those are cute. But I felt like just doing a little scramble. ;)

2 toasted whole wheat English muffins
2 tbs green onions, chopped
4 pieces of fake bacon chopped
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
one recipe for tofu scramble [[I use onions, green bell peppers, and mushrooms this time]]

-- Heat oil on medium heat in a skillet and cook chopped 'bacon' until crispy, about 10 minutes.
-- For the last 30 seconds, heat green onions with 'bacon'.
-- Take a toasted muffin, top with tofu scramble, the sauce, and bacon/green onion combo.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

You use chickpea flour in many of your recipes. Would you mind telling me a bit about it?

Unknown said...

terpgirl --

Thanks for your question.

I try to stay away from white flours. It spikes your blood sugar levels and makes you crash, much like sugar. It also lacks nutrients and causes health complications for some. You can read more here: http://www.womenfitness.net/ugly_truths.htm

White flour is what's traditionally used to thicken sauces. I've heard you can use whole wheat flour, but I find chickpea flour to be a much better substitute as a thickener. It will also make your sauce gluten free.

Chickpea flour is also called Besan. It's just chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, ground up into a flour. It still retains all of it's nutrients and it is higher in fiber and protein. Whole Foods carries it, or any other health food store.

Hope this helps! You can substitute white flour if you want, too!