Sunday, June 21, 2009

Crepes with Cilantro-Chipotle Sauce

When I was living in Berkeley, they had crepe shops every block it felt like. I walked by this one every day on my to and from class, and you'd see these guys in the windows with squeegee-looking tools spinning perfect circles of what looks like thin pancakes. And I'm ashamed to say I never took the time to stop in and try one.

Point being: you should try these. This is only my second time making crepes. The first time I used white flour, so I thought I'd give whole wheat crepes a go. I used Isa's recipes for the crepe shell. Then I made some chicken-style seitan with some vegetables and a cilantro-chipotle sauce.


[[Crepes]]

-- A good way to plan this is to make the crepe batter and refrigerate. While it's refrigerating, prepare the filling and sauce. Set both aside on a warmer and prepare the the crepes. Then fill, wrap, and sauce them.

[[Cilantro-Chipotle Sauce]]
This is a lot like my other sauces [[ I'm on a big cream sauce kick lately]].

1 tbs chickpea flour
1 tbs earth balance
2-3 cloves garlic
1 cup plain soy milk
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tbs packed chopped fresh cilantro
pinch of salt

-- Heat earth balance and garlic. Add chickpea flour and whisk until you have a thick slurry.
-- Add milk and wine and let simmer until thick. About 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
-- Add chipotle powder and cilantro and mix.



[[Crepe Filling]]

1 package chicken style steitan [[whole foods or clintonville community market]]
1 chopped zucchini
1/2 of a medium size red onion, chopped
1 tbs olive oil
salt, pepper, cumin

-- Heat oil and add seitan, zucchini and onion. Lightly season with salt and pepper, then add about 1 tsp cumin.
-- Cook until seitan is slightly crispy and the onions/zucchini are softened.

No comments: