Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lemon Pepper Vegetables

Today Andrew is at his first interview with a newspaper to discuss his sleep deprivation stunt. We've decided on September 2nd and it will be held in Columbus. He'll be hanging out in front of Liquid in the Short North while he stays awake for more than 11 days. As the date fast approaches, we're scurrying to finish all these last minute details while simultaneously getting Andrew in the right frame of mind for it all. My job during the whole thing is feeding him the right stuff so he doesn't fail-- keeping his blood sugar level, keeping him adequately nourished-- all while having no idea what I'm doing really. I can only guess based on the scant research I've found which all point to what I see as obvious. Keeping it raw and natural.

For now, we're slowing transitioning away from the fried green tomatoes and delicious Alfredo pasta I've been making. Lately it's been lots of spinach salads and bean/rice nights. Luckily, Summer brings in beautiful produce that make the transition easy.

For a long time, squash seemed strange and overly complicated to me. I've discovered it really isn't though. You can literally just chop and saute it. While I was staying with my parents in California, they turned me onto lemon pepper seasoning. It's zesty with a little spice that pairs beautifully with zucchini and squash.


[[Lemon Pepper Vegetables]]

one medium sized yellow squash
one medium sized zucchini [[organics are much smaller, unlike the regular, mutant ones-- they're HUGE!]]
about 10 slices of pickled jalapenos
2 tbs olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning

-- In a medium sized saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
-- Add the jalapenos, chopped squash and zucchini -- coat with oil in pan. Add the lemon pepper seasoning. Cook until squash and zucchini are slightly translucent and soft. About 6 minutes.
-- Remove from pan and serve.

No comments: