Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Whole Wheat Strawberry Shortcake

Growing up, my strawberry shortcake was always 1 part bisquick biscuit, 1 part simmered strawberry goodness, and like 2 parts cool whip [[a la my step dad or mom]]. I think it was more a vessel for my cool whip eating. Still one of my favorites.

When I decided to do this regiment with Andrew, I had to stop baking sweets. I couldn't imagine a whole wheat cookie being that good, or a low sugar cake exciting me the same way. And I still can't. However, I got the idea to do some strawberry shortcake with a whole biscuit. I was a little worried it would end up too dry or healthy tasting, but honestly, it was as good as the bisquick shortcake I ate my whole life. For Andrew, he always had it with angel food cake [[which I think is traditional?]] rather than a biscuit. But he still gave this little slice of heaven two thumbs up.

I also have a vendetta against vegan whipped cream. I think it's nasty. Instead, I made a cream cheese, whippy side topping. Though the cream cheese made it taste a little like strawberry cheesecake, which was definitely not a bad thing.


I have to tell you, I'm tremedously proud of this dish, and if you don't try it some day, I'll be mad. This is the healthiest strawberry shortacke you will ever eat while still being really delicious. You could even do it without the whipped topping and make it even healthier. I haven't done any official math but I'm pretty sure it's under 400 calories. But that's based off the janky calculator in my mind. I don't really bother counting calories anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[[Whole Wheat Strawberry Shortcake with a Cream Cheese Whipped Topping]]
This makes five buscuity-goodies. PS - this looks really long, but it literally takes 20 minutes.

STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 475 F
STEP TWO: Make your cream cheese topping.

Cream Cheese Topping:
1/2 container vegan cream cheese
2 Tbs raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp Tbs. pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

-- Blend together with an electric hand blender. The raw sugar will not dissolve so you will see little yellow dots in it. That's normal. :)
-- Place in airtight container and refridferate while you prep the rest. [[about 15-20 minutes]]

STEP THREE: Make the biscuits.

The Biscuits:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs canola oil
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
A little raw sugar for dusting

-- Whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then stir in oil and milk. It'll be sticky, don't overbeat.
-- To get thme a pretty, round shape place then in a lightly greased cupcake pan and smooth out the top. You only want them about a 1/2 inch from thick [[don't fill up the whole cupcake cup]].
-- Springle with a little raw sugar and bake for 8 minutes.

STEP FOUR: Prepare the strawberry topping.

Strawberry Topping:
1 bag or about 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
3 Tbs water
1 1/2 Tbs. raw sugar
a pinch or two of agar agar [[to thicken; you can also use 1 Tbs. cornstarch. this is better for you]]

-- While the biscuits are baking, put the strawberries in a small saucepan on meidum-high heat. If frozen, wait a few minutes for them to soften. Add water, sugar and thickener. Let simmer until thickener dissolves and strawberry sauce has a thicker consistency. It will still be slightly watery, but the strawberries should be soft and juicy.
-- Pull from heat until biscuits are ready.

STEP FIVE: Assemble.

-- Take warm biscuit and top with four or five strawberries and a little sauce to saturate the biscuit. Side with about 1 Tbs. cream cheese topping.

No comments: