Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Basil Tomato Bisque with Garlic Coutons


I had this huge can of diced tomatoes in my cupboard and I've been meaning to try a tomato bisque, so this seemed like a great opportunity. I also made it with a really great side sandwich that will be featured in another post.

I love that I got a chance to prominently feature tomatoes. They are a super food, and full of amazing benefits:
Tomatoes contain high levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that supports the immune system and helps maintain healthy skin and tissue lining. They are packed with antioxidant flavonoids and vitamin E, both of which are essential for heart health, and are a good source of potassium. One medium-size tomato provides 50 per cent of the recommended daily dose of vitamin C; they contain no saturated fatty acids, are low in salt, starch and sugars, high in dietary fiber and have a low glycaemic index [[article]].
This bisque is slightly chunky with a little kick [[I love my crushed red pepper]] and some basil of course. The garlic croutons are something I read about in an article featuring Vegan Soul Kitchen so unfortunately I cannot take credit for those.

I used chickpea flour to thicken my soup this time, for the regiment's sake. But you can use white flour. I know it's just a small amount, but I really don't want to use it at all. This also helps the soup be gluten free.

P.S. I got new bowls and plates. So those are also featured today. :)


[[Basil Tomato Bisque]]
This makes kind of a lot. I'll say it serves six. You may have leftovers still, depending on how much you serve.

2 tbs earth balance
one white onion finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic minced
3 tbs chickpea flour
1 1/4 cup plain NOT LIGHT soy milk
1/2 cup red cooking wine
3 lb. diced tomatoes
1 14 1/2 oz can tomato sauce
1 bunch chopped fresh basil
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper

-- Melt butter in a sauce pan, add onions and garlic. Cook onions until soft and translucent.
-- Add chickpea flour and whisk vigorously to make it thick and clumpy. Add milk and wine. Continue to whisk and cook on medium heat until thickened.
-- Once thickened, add tomato sauce and tomatoes and stir. Let cook for about 10 minutes so the tomatoes soften.
-- To make it less chunky, take small amounts to a blender and blend. Then re-add to soup, and blend more. It will be hot so be sure to life the blender lid in between to let some steam out.
-- Add your bay leaves, basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Let simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and enjoy.
-- Top your soup with some garlic croutons and balsamic vinegar. If you're having a fancy dinner, you can add a bay leaf for prettiness sake.



[[Garlic Croutons]]
I think this is a really good way to eat croutons if you're going to eat them. They often have parmesan cheese on them [[well the good ones anyway]] so this a good way to control ingredients. It's really, really easy, too.

3 toasted pieces of Ezekiel bread [[you can use any kind of bread]]
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced

-- Chop up toast into desired crouton shape. I've seen some that are just a crouton "stick", you could try that. I think it's really cute.
-- Heat oil and cook garlic for 1-2 minutes.
-- Add your cubed toast. You want them to be slightly burnt so they don't get soggy in your soup. [[Although Andrew liked the soggy ones, so go figure]]
-- You can add some herbs to this, too, if you want to make some for a salad or something. The garlic is really prominent and flavorful on its own, though.


1 comment:

Morgan said...

This looks amazing - I'm trying it as soon as I get home (Tuesday!!). I believe we have all of those ingredients on hand...que linda I'll let you know how it goes!