Monday, October 12, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 12: Daiya Cheese on a Rustic Pizza


My Daiya cheese came in last week. I ordered the Italian shredded blend from Vegan Store, mostly because the cheddar was out of stock. So, I made a pizza!

I'm usually not a huge face of vegan cheese. I'll sprinkle a little on some seitan parm or drizzle a bit on a pizza, but it's never the centerpiece of what I'm eating-- always an accent. I don't really miss the melt-y, greasiness of dairy cheese-centric foods. I'd probably puke after a heavy dose of pure cheese.

That being said, I do have favorites... Well, one favorite. I love Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet's mozzarella. It's the best. It has a pleasant flavor with no strange after taste. It melts well. It's just an all around good product. I wouldn't have tried Daiya had everyone not mentioned it to me so frequently for the pure fact that I'm so please with FYH. But I did.

The Daiya cheese was good. Andrew and I realized we had tried it before because Z Pizza, based purely on our tastebuds, uses the same cheese. It didn't steal the show for me, though. It melted just as well as FYH. It tasted different, but still good. And I actually had one issue with it. It's almost TOO gooey and melty. It sticks to the roof of your mouth and your lips and face [[well, the lips and face thing may just be me heh]]. It's almost like glue cheese.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But I still love FYH...


Here's what I did for my pizza: I made one whole wheat pizza bread dough recipe. Preheated my oven to 500 F. I used left over Puttanesca sauce for my base, drizzled with cheese, topped with sauteed red onions, sliced roma tomatoes, and spicy tempeh. Baked for 10 minutes and ate.

I really want to make a vegan Canadian "bacon" and pineapple pizza. Maybe next time. . .

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yeah, I think FYH is one of the top ones out there. Pizza still looks fabulous though!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That pizza looks yum!