Friday, May 29, 2009

Creole Kitchen: Maque Choux

I've been on a huge Creole kick lately. Maybe I just need something exciting and new in the kitchen. Maybe the bold flavors entice me. Maybe it's just really f*cking good. I don't know.

Last night I make maque choux [[pronounced "mock shoe"]]-- a traditional creole side dish. It's pretty much just a barrage of vegetables simmered in some fat and seasoned nicely. I like it a lot. I'm not sure what it means in English. I know choux means cabbage, but this is hardly cabbage. That's about all I know.

I didn't get fancy with our main dish. Just a grilled "chicken" patty topped with bacon and vegenaise. The side dish definitely stole the show. It's colorful, flavorful, and really freaking easy. So make it!


[[Maque Choux]]
Traditionally you use bacon fat or butter to simmer, and add bacon or tasso. Since we don't eat that, I went the olive oil/earth balance route and got some fake bacon in the mix. This makes four servings.

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 heaping tsp vegan butter
4 strips fake bacon, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, julienned
2 celery sticks, julienned
1 cup frozen corn
1 tbs garlic, minced
1 14 1/2 oz can chopped tomatoes, drainer
a few shakes of chalula hot sauce
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
a few dashes of salt and pepper
Top with green onions

-- heat oil and butter in a large skillet.
-- add chopped fake bacon and cook until crispy.
-- add chopped onions, celery, bell pepper, and corn. simmer about 10 minutes or until soft stirring often with a wooden spoon.
-- add tomatoes and garlic, stir.
-- add hot sauce and seasoning, heat about 5 minutes.
-- remove from heat, add chopped green onions, and serve.

2 comments:

chris said...

damn!! that sounds really good

Unknown said...

Thanks. It's pretty delicious.