Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vegan Creole Night

I haven't posted anything good in sooo long. I finally got the chance to cook on this vacation and it was awesome. My mom and sister hate most vegan stuff, and they kept stealing bites. I've never tried the Morningstar vegan chick'n strips before, but they were great-- and surprisingly chicken-like.

I wanted to make something creole, which I haven't really done before. So, I did some research on the net and ran to Nugget. We bought some amazing creole seasoning. You can apparently create your own, but my spice cabinet is currently limited while I'm at my mom's house. I was still really happy with the end result.

I loved this dish because it was a nice way to vary our diet in the regiment. Using brown rice in this recipe did not make it taste healthy at all. The flavors are so bold and delicious, you won't even notice. You could sub in white rice if you wanted, but I'd recommend keeping it brown.



[[Vegan Chicken Jambalaya]]
It's spicy and one of the fastest meals I've ever made-- surprisingly. Minute rice rules.

    • 1 yellow onion, chopped
    • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
    • 4 celery sticks, chopped
    • 2 cups dry brown long grain minute rice, cooked
    • 4-5 tsp. Tony Chcahere's original creole seasoning, or any one you like
    • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more for heat
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    • 1 cup vegetable broth
    • 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
    • 1 package of Morningstar vegan Chick'n Strips
  1. Heat oil and cook the chopped onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic until onions are soft. Don't let it get too dry, add more oil if necessary.
  2. Add the creole and cayenne. Cook for another minute or two.
  3. Add the broth, cooked minute rice, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Stir. After microwaving the chick'n strips for two minutes, add to mixture.
  4. Once thickened remove the bay leaf. Add some hot sauce of your choosing and enjoy.



No comments: